Saturday, August 3, 2013

More Butterflies

 Tiger yellow form
on a Volunteer Sunflower
This first one on the left is a Tiger yellow form swallowtail that was feeding on a volunteer Sunflower that had come up after falling out of the bird feeder the first year I lived in this house. Charlie took this photo.

White Peacock
by Tom Santacruz


This one is called a White Peacock, the photo I’m posting on here is a photo taken by Cousin Tom out in the Green Swamp.  

Shortly after he sent me this photo I began seeing them in my yard. They are so lovely, the white you see is an iridescent pearl luster.



Striped Zebra
on a wild Lantana
Striped Zebra swallowtail
by Cousin Tom Santacruz
This next one is also a photo by Cousin Tom taken in the Green Swamp, but I have seen many in my yard.

The one on the left was taken in my yard, by my grandson Charlie,






Eastern Black swallowtail
Larvae of Eastern Black
This one is an Eastern Black swallowtail, they are frequent visitors. 

You have to really look closely to tell the difference between this one and the Tiger black form swallowtail  Their coloring is quite similar.

The Central Florida
Green Swamp Wilderness Preserve
Where I live it is at least two miles by road to the Green Swamp Wilderness Preserve, but as the crow flies it is only a quarter mile east to the western edge of the Green Swamp and the Withlacoochee River. 

The Green Swamp covers a huge portion of Central Florida. There are thousands of acres in the Green Swamp, and 110 miles of the Withlacoochee River that flows through it is protected by the Outstanding Florida Waters Act.





The Beautiful
Withlacoochee River
Courtesy of Marie Beree
The River is so beautiful when it's full and flowing strong, but during the drought seasons that we often have it drops so low it will have sandbanks that reach from one bank to the other in many places that you can walk back and forth across. 



I don't like to see it this low at any time, and we depend on the rainfall to keep it flowing. Lately we have had a lot of rain. I know it's uncomfortable at times, but for us it is very necessary.











No comments:

Post a Comment