Friday, August 9, 2013

Mallow Hibiscus From Sandra

Sandra has been one of my best friend since 1965. She & her husband Lloyd were stationed aboard the USS Quillback SS 424 shortly after Chuck was transferred. We didn't know them at the time, but they also hung out at the Baessler’s house on William Street, and we heard about them often.

In 1965 we moved out of Base housing at Sigsbee Park and into a place that we bought out on Big Coppitt Key. I was out front one afternoon watering the yard and she stopped out front, and asked, "Are you Annette Haven?"  "Yes I am". She said, "I’m Sandra Foran, I don’t have time to visit right now, I’m going up the Keys to have dinner with some friend’s, but I live in the next block, please come and see me tomorrow."

I did go and visit and we have been best friends since that day. She has always been an avid gardener; she was born and raised at the O.C. Carnes Plant & Flower Nursery in Florahome, Florida. They were her parents. They grew most all of the plants they sold and they specialized in Azalea's, and Camilla's also the Carnes Apple Pears which her grandfather developed.

Moonflower Vine
Seed Pod of Moonflower Vine
She had a Moonflower Vine growing on her fence and it was so beautiful, and she gave me some seeds. 

I planted them along my fence and when they started blooming we were fascinated. The kids and I would sit out by the fence in the evenings and watch the Moonflowers bloom.


Open Bloom
Bloom Unfurling
The four inch blooms look like a Morning Glory, but they are a whitish pearl luster and they have a lovely fragrance. 

You can actually watch the bloom open, once it starts to open; it makes a small jerky motion and as you watch it will begin to unfurl and suddenly pop open.

Two or three years ago she and Lloyd were headed to Florahome from where they had eventually moved to after he retired from the Navy. She had the truck completely loaded with plants. Some of those she was bringing for me.

They were broadsided by another vehicle at a crossroads and it totally demolished their truck. The plants were scattered all over the highway and roadside. Both she and Lloyd had some injuries, but not serious enough to be hospitalized. Her five little dogs were fine.

She got out of the truck and while they were waiting for the Highway Patrol to arrive she began to salvage as many plants as she could. This one pictured was one she was bringing to me.

When they eventually arrived at my place she said, "Annette this plant normally has a burgundy colored flower, but these two buds on here now are a pale pink. I know it is in shock from the wreck, but whether it will revert to the normal color again, I just don’t know. I have never seen a plant do this."

Mallow Hibiscus
After the two pale pink buds bloomed it did revert back to its normal color again. This photo is the first year's growth, it is now at least eight feet tall and this morning it has ten blooms. I have counted as many as seventeen blooms at one time.

Neither of us know what the name of it is. And neither do some of my friends that are Master Gardeners. We know it is in the Mallow Hibiscus family, but not its individual name, if any of you know please let me know. 

The butterflies love it. The blooms are at least four to five inches; it is an absolutely gorgeous plant. A real show stopper when in full bloom.


A Golden Dew Drop
A Golden Dew Drop
I have planted next to it a Golden Dew Drop that is now at least ten feet tall. 

When it blooms which is almost constantly in spring, summer and fall, it has tiny blue blooms and it is another one that the butterflies absolutely love.

Yesterday, before afternoon showers I counted on it, three Giants, and the Gulf Fritillaries, Sulphers and Zebra Longwings were to many to count at once. My Red Spike and Purple Spike are not yet blooming still a little too early.


No comments:

Post a Comment