Saturday, July 20, 2013

Doc Charette

Every submarine has a Hospital Corpsman that takes care of the medical needs of the crew, at sea and in port unless it is something serious enough to be hospitalized for. My understanding is they are like a Physicians’ Assistant and can do minor surgery if needed. Some can do more.

They keep the crew updated with the battery of shots they have to take before going into foreign ports, as well as all their other health needs.  


Bill Charette 
During my time with Chuck while he served on the USS Quillback SS 424, Bill Charette, was the (Doc). He was the recipient of the Medal of Honor for his valor as a Marine Corpsman in Korea. 

And if I am not mistaken he was the only recipient of the Medal of Honor on active duty at the time he served aboard the Quillback.

video: William Charette Medal of Honor, Korea

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFiy500RKnQ


His wife Louise (Lou) was also from Lake Wales where Chuck was born. We knew them quite well. We had dinner in each others homes several times.  Had a lot of fun together at Ship’s Parties and Reunions after we all retired. 

One Ship’s Party that stands out in my mind was the one we had at the Casa Marina in 1959, long before it was restored to what you see today.

Present Casa Marina Hotel

If I'm not mistaken I am pretty sure that Lou and I was both with child at the time and couldn't get in the pool, at least I am sure that I was. So happy we couldn't because it got a little wild before the night ended, but it was such fun to sit on the sideline and be a people watcher that night!

Before Doc Charette, the Hospital Corpsman on the Quillback was Doc Jones, but I didn't meet him till quite sometime later at the Reunion in Key West; he had already been transferred to another Boat by the time Chuck and I got together, Chuck had served on the Quillback with him too. 

Hospital Corpsmen are a very necessary part of the crew. The Boats could not operate without the Doc’s who serve aboard. I think at that time Doc Charette was an HM1, but by the time he retired he was a Master Chief and was qualified for Nuclear Boats.

They have lived in Lake Wales as far as I know since retirement, before Chuck passed on ~ to Eternal Patrol ~ we visited with them a few times. Doc came to Chuck's goodbye service in Cedar Key, Florida and I truly appreciated that he did. So happy that Doc and Lou were a part of our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment