Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dependents Cruise

USS Quillback SS 424

One of the highlights for me while Chuck was serving on the USS Quillback SS 424 was going out to sea with him on the dependents cruise. This is when the officers and sailors are allowed to take members of their families along with them for the day.

I am not sure how many other dependents were aboard that day, but there were quite a few. Chuck basically had the day off and was my personal tour guide. He took me through the Boat and explained each compartment to me. He also explained to me about closing and dogging the hatches between the compartments.

Some of us got to try our hand at the helm briefly; I say some because not everyone wanted to try their hand. Everyone got to have a look through the periscope. All in all it was a wonderful day.

Willie (Commissaryman 1st Class Lawrence Williams) was still the cook on board and he served a great lunch. We had steak, baked potato with all the trimmings and salad along with some of Willie’s fresh baked bread.

And for the life of me I can’t remember what we had for dessert, but it was not strawberries, and anyone who rode the Quillback at that time knows the strawberry sea story.

Commercial Size Pan
Fudge With Nuts
When he had the duty and often on his days off Willie would come in and bake fresh breads, pastries, pies and other goodies. Oftentimes he would make several huge pans of fudge. 

He did not have to do these extras, he did it because he loved to cook and and he loved to take good care of the crew. A well fed crew is a happy crew. There is also another sea story about the fudge.

After lunch we watched a movie in the mess area (dining area) where we had eaten lunch. Many people have asked me what it was like to ride aboard a submarine. The only way I can describe it is for me the sensation kinda felt like riding in an elevator.


Before the Boat gets underway on the dependents cruise the message is passed at  morning quarters; there will be visitors aboard today, be mindful of your language.


After this dependents cruise I had much more appreciation for the daily sacrifices my husband and all these other sailors and officers make for us in protecting our freedom as a nation in Peace time and War, and I have always been very thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment