Thursday, December 27, 2012

Mami T-- Part 4

For a long time I did not know where they lived after they came to Holmes County. I had overheard my dad say in conversations with others that they had lived way down yonder on Wrights Creek. I came across a census record where the Post Office listed for them was Cerro Gordo, which is on the west side of the Choctawhatchee River.

Cerro Gordo was at one time many years ago the County seat of Holmes County. And Wrights Creek is a beautiful clear water creek which empties into the Choctawhatchee River south of Cerro Gordo. I am still not sure of the exact location of where they lived, but it was in this area.

According to historical records this area was where Creeks and other Native Americans gathered after being chased out of Alabama and Georgia. 

Holmes County, Holmes Creek and Holmes Valley are named after Creek Chief Holmes who came to this area after the Creeks were defeated at Horseshoe Bend in 1814.

Sometime after November 28, 1842 ~ a Creek village was found and wiped out by the local militia somewhere on Wrights Creek. They killed twenty-two Creeks and took no prisoners. It was considered a massacre even by the local white settlers. Very little was written about it.

The Taylor’s lived on Wright’s Creek for quite some time, for about 15 years; before James acquired land, the first land purchased was 120.04 acres somewhere near what is now known as Millers Crossroads on December 01, 1857. And in April 1860 he purchased an additional 199.95 acres.

I am not sure either of where and how Mami T and my gg grandfather William H. McDuffie met, but I would certainly love to know that story! She and William were married in November of 1851 in Bonifay, Florida according to the papers I have. I do not have their marriage record; I only have the sworn affidavit paperwork that she filed at a much later date.

After they married they too acquired land which was also located near Miller’s Crossroads. One of my cousins who still lives in the area knows where their house was located she remembers seeing it when she was a little girl. She told me the next time I am up that way she will show me where it stood.

In trying to find the location of the property I called the courthouse in Bonifay. The lady I spoke with told me that even though I had, and gave her the legal description; she could not give me the exact location unless I know the names of the present owners, but she could give me a general location. I ordered a map of Holmes County and she was kind enough to mark the general location on the map for me.

On some of the paperwork their Post Office was given as Potolo Florida, and even though I was born and raised in Holmes County this one caused me to scratch my head. I had never heard of it, I was able to find it on an 1900 map of the Panhandle!


I have since spoken with a man, Mr. James Williams who lives in Bonifay, and he told me exactly where it was located. His great grandparents John J. and Elizabeth Whitaker Perkins were the Postmaster and Postmistress of the Potolo Post Office.  It was located in their home and is about three or four miles southeast of Millers Crossroads.

No comments:

Post a Comment