Friday, December 21, 2012

Mami T -- Part 3

I have not been able to nail down yet the exact year that he left South Carolina, but I did find some records in Thomas County Georgia, where James lived for several years before migrating on down to North West Florida.  

In an 1850 census of Holmes County, Florida it gives his age as 50 years old, the census was taken in Division 3, Holmes Florida.

His wife is listed as Evelina, 34 years old. My gg grandmother Charity (Mami T) is 19 years old and living at home. Jasper the oldest son is 17, Henry is 15, Nancy is 13, Wilson is 11, Emily is 8 years, and Zachariah is a 7 month old baby.

I thought at the time when I first looked at this census record that Evelina was the mother of Charity (Mami T). And then I received an email from a lady who was also doing research on the same Family, and she told me that she thought that James had been married to a woman by the name of Tempe Faircloth before he married Evelina.

I checked some census records in Thomas County, Georgia and I found James Taylor listed on a census there, and if I am not mistaken the year was 1840. There were some small children in the household. Only the head of the households were listed by name in those early census records.

I searched the old marriage records of Georgia and found a marriage record for James Taylor married Tempe Faircloth March 30, 1828 in Thomas County, Georgia. There are no other records that I have been able to find about Tempe, but I believe that she is the mother of Charity, Jasper, Henry and Nancy.

I do not know what became of Tempe, but most likely she died, and was buried in Thomas County although I have found no record of that. It is quite possible that she died in childbirth when Nancy was born in 1837 or soon after. But since I have found no records to that effect I am just guessing. 

There is another marriage record for James Taylor married Aveline Faircloth October 04, 1838. There are also the same marriage records for both marriages in Terrell County, Georgia. This is a mystery I can't explain.

The lady that I had corresponded with told me that in her Family Bible Records her name is spelled Evelina. The spelling of her name is different on each census record, and it is believed by the family that she was the younger sister of Tempe.

I am also not sure of the exact time they left Thomas County and migrated on down to the Florida Territory which this area later became Holmes County, Florida. And I am not exactly sure of the date of their arrival, but I am pretty sure it was in May of 1842. I will explain later in the story the reason I feel certain this was the time when they arrived.

Wilson was born in 1839 in Thomas County, and Emily was the first child born in Holmes County, Florida. And Florida was still a Territory at this time.

I have not as yet found the date of Emily’s birth, but she was born in 1842 in the Florida Territory. Also listed on the 1850 census is Zachariah Jack who is seven months old.  Later there were two other children born, Sarah and Rachel Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment