Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Last Boat on Sea Duty

USS Sea Cat SS 399 
Chuck was transferred from the USS Grenadier SS 525 on October 21,1963 to the USS Sea Cat SS 399 and served on her till May 4, 1964.

I was just out of the hospital and in the full metal body brace and could only be up for 15 minutes twice a day, the rest of the time I was flat of my back.
USS Sea Cat Insignia Patch
The Boat was getting ready for a trip, I’m pretty sure it was another Mediterranean trip, but it could have been the North Atlantic. Chuck put in a request for a hardship leave.
The Captain (Skipper) said, "I'm sorry Chief Haven, but I really need to have you aboard on this trip." 

Chuck said, "Sir, you have enough spare parts aboard to rebuild those engines from the floor up, and every Engineman in this department is fully trained and competent to handle the job, if it's needed."
Skipper still said, "No,  I'm sorry Chief Haven I absolutely have to have you on this trip I just can’t leave you behind. 
Chuck explained the situation again and said, "Sir I will not leave my wife and children in this condition, and I can’t afford to pay to have someone take care of them for me while we're gone, and I will not make this trip." 


Silver Dolphins
Worn by Enlisted Men
He unpinned his Dolphins from his chest and threw them in the garbage can and said, "I have been riding these Boats for seventeen and a half years, and I have never asked for anything. 

Riding Boats is volunteer service and I disqualify myself as of now, I am no longer a submarine sailor."
The Skipper said, "No, no you can’t do this; you are too good a submarine sailor to just throw it away." He reached in and picked up Chuck’s Dolphins and tried to give them back to him, but Chuck refused.
The Skipper called Commodore McGuiness up in the Squadron and explained the situation to him and he said, "Bring him up here to see me, if he will come."
They went up to see the Commodore and he asked Chuck to tell him his side of the story, and Chuck did. When he finished the Commodore said to him, "I have a little project in mind that I’ve been thinking about for awhile now." He told Chuck what he had on his mind and asked him if he thought he could handle the job and Chuck said, "Yes Sir."

So the School for the Boats was created in the Squadron and Chuck was placed in charge of getting it up and going. The Commodore handed him his Dolphins and said "Put these back on Chief, we'll transfer you to another Boat, and  you can ride her four hours a month in order to still draw your hazardous duty pay."

The school worked out well, guys could qualify to ride submarines a lot quicker if they went through the School for the Boats. In order to qualify they have to cross train and learn at least the basics of every job on the Boat. As soon as they qualify they are awarded their Dolphins.













No comments:

Post a Comment