Thursday, September 5, 2013

Birds and Other Wildlife

My Red Spike Plant
A Purple Spike Plant
I have seen so many birds and other wildlife from my front porch. There is one kind of Humming Bird that I see frequently. 

Several of the plants that I have attract them, the Red Spike plant and the Purple Spike plant. My Purple Spike plant is about eight feet tall now.

A few other plants as well like the Coral Vine and another wild vine that has tiny white flowers, I have no clue as to its identity. But the hummers love it. There are many other plants that attract them that I don't have anymore.


A Fox Squirrel
Ruby throated Humming Bird
One morning some old Navy friends, Lloyd and Sandra were visiting and while having coffee on the porch with Sandra she spoke up suddenly and said, "OMG Annette is that a Fox Squirrel I see outside your fence there?”

I looked and sure enough it was, it had just come down out of the huge Hickory tree in the corner of my yard.  She said, "They are so rare these days.” They are, at least in this neck of the woods. 


A Wild Deer
One day I was coming home from an appointment, I was about halfway from the hard road to my house. A wild deer jumped the neighbors' fence in front of me, it was so close I almost hit it, would have had I been going faster.

It went into the Tangerine grove on my left, through a couple of yards and then into the pasture on my left and ran alongside me till just before I got to my driveway. 

It jumped the fence again directly in front of me and crossed the road, and then jumped into my little field and ran through my yard, and jumped the fence again into the pasture on the north side of my house.

A Wild Sow and Piglets
A year or so later a wild sow and eight piglets came into my yard and were all over it for about an hour or so rooting for acorns that had recently fallen. Cousin Diane took pictures, but I don’t know if she ever got them developed. It was quite exciting while they were here!

This sow is not nearly as fat as the one in my yard was and the piglets aren't quite as large as hers were.


Wild Turkeys
We see wild turkeys everywhere out here, and very often in the pasture on the north side of my house. Sometimes there are just two or three and then sometimes quite a few.

No matter how many there are I love seeing them, they have such a peculiar strut.

No comments:

Post a Comment