Friday, September 7, 2012

The Barefoot Artist and The Cross

Before I posted the ‘Stop Fishing’ story I was wishing I had a copy of this. I searched and could not find it. And then a few days after I posted I received this email. I thought wow; even though I have already posted it I can edit and add this in.
I wrote and asked, and permission was given, and then I decided this is such a great short story in its own right I would write it, and again permission was given.
Oftentimes our greatest inspiration will come from great inner turmoil of mixed emotions which are a result of whatever the trauma in our life is at the time! Such is the case with this beautiful painting.
During the process of the Net Ban there was a lot of anger, anguish, hurt and turmoil in homes of commercial fishermen all over the State of Florida. A way of life was being destroyed in the voting booth.
 When it was over there were thousands of people out of work. Some felt a few hunger pains for awhile; there were empty spaces under a lot of Christmas trees where presents should have been for the children, among other needs.
One more trial for this tiny fishing village whose livelihood has always been from the harvest of the sea to overcome, but Cedar Keyans being such a resilient people  have survived.
In the midst of all that was happening she remembered a friend had said to her, whenever there is a problem you can’t solve, just bring it and lay it at the foot of the cross.

With pen in hand she began to draw and this first picture above is the result, the first draft was published in the Cedar Key Beacon and the Gainesville Sun.
On the editorial page this inscription was added: “Father forgive them, they know not what they have done.”

Painting by Carmen Day Williams, Cedar Key, Florida
And then someone, I don’t know who; made a large a cross with a net draped around it and it was posted at the mainland side of # 4 Bridge and it is still there.
This next picture, is a beautiful painting of what the first drawing evolved to over a period of time!
This painting has never been put up for sale!

For the benefit of those who would like to read about the Net Ban go to Florida Marine Net Fishing, Amendment 3 (1994) click on this highlighted title.



1 comment:

  1. Affected so many lives...this is a sad but beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it. And very glad you got permission to use the pictures!

    ReplyDelete